TalkingSnake

If the first talking snake had kept shtum, we wouldn't be here. Eve wouldn't have eaten the forbidden fruit. But she listened and was curious. So she fell into humanity, thank God. Good old snake, say I. I celebrate its independence of mind. Satan? Neh, that's a later interpretation. The snake was part of the divine purpose. God allowed it into the garden, aware of its linguistic abilities. He knew what would happen. Jesus commended dove-like innocence. AND the wisdom ... of the snake.

Monday, April 10, 2006

The hand that made us is divine

90+ minutes' drive from Stokesley but still in North Yorkshire is the village of Cowling, aka paradise. If I live so long I'll retire to a cottage my wife and I have there which is currently let out for holidays. Ten minutes walk from our front door and you could be looking at this. Ickornshaw Beck ("beck" is Yorkshire for "stream"). Picture taken last autumn on a walk where I could (figuratively of course) hear God saying to me: slow down and take this in, lad. Drink in the fine details and marvel at the intricacy of My creation.

Some say God's so wonderful he could have made this lot in a flash. And I say he cares so much he really took his time. "Thy years are glad, and sure, and slow" - from a favourite hymn, words by a woman, interestingly. It seems to be men who need God to do everything in a hurry. The earth's young, the Rapture's due any moment .... may he give us fellers some patience. And help us realise how much of His own is displayed in creation.

3 Comments:

Blogger Thérèse said...

That picture is the depiction of a calm, satisfied sigh. :)

6:55 pm  
Blogger Thérèse said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:55 pm  
Blogger Louise said...

Would love your opinion of "Pretrib Rapture Diehards" and "Thomas Ice (Bloopers)." God bless. Louise

10:37 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home