TalkingSnake

If the first talking snake had kept shtum, we wouldn't be here. Eve wouldn't have eaten the forbidden fruit. But she listened and was curious. So she fell into humanity, thank God. Good old snake, say I. I celebrate its independence of mind. Satan? Neh, that's a later interpretation. The snake was part of the divine purpose. God allowed it into the garden, aware of its linguistic abilities. He knew what would happen. Jesus commended dove-like innocence. AND the wisdom ... of the snake.

Saturday, May 20, 2006

A humble claim

I know I’m right about creationism. It’s silly, it’s heretical, it’s manifestly false. But don’t go calling me arrogant. I am a mere learner compared to Henry Morris, may he rest in prejudice. I quote from the foreword to his son John’s book "The Young Earth":


"The facts of science oppose evolution, and most people see this, once these facts are shown to them. There is no evidence whatever - past, present or possible - that vertical evolution of one kind of organism into a more complex kind or organism has ever occurred or ever can occur." [emphasis added]

I was going to say that at least my arrogance stops short of pronouncing on what cannot possibly happen in the future, but honesty forbids: I have publicly said more than once that the Second Coming will not happen in anyone’s lifetime, which might seem to be on a par with Morris’ breathaking claim. But Morris faces far more difficulties (or did until he died) because if I’m wrong, and the Second Coming does happen in my lifetime, there will be no mistaking it and I shall have to throw myself on Christ’s mercy. If Morris is wrong the world won’t end, but the whole fundamentalist edifice will collapse about its then defenders’ ears.

There will never be any evidence for evolution - ponder the implications of that. What Morris actually means is something different. His claim translates as: we creationists have decided that evolution can’t happen. Therefore, anything which its supporters put forward as evidence for evolution we will interpret in some other way. No matter how many knots we have to tie ourselves in while we do this. Our theory is true and we will duff up the facts until they beg for pardon and line up with it, as good little facts should.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home