TalkingSnake

If the first talking snake had kept shtum, we wouldn't be here. Eve wouldn't have eaten the forbidden fruit. But she listened and was curious. So she fell into humanity, thank God. Good old snake, say I. I celebrate its independence of mind. Satan? Neh, that's a later interpretation. The snake was part of the divine purpose. God allowed it into the garden, aware of its linguistic abilities. He knew what would happen. Jesus commended dove-like innocence. AND the wisdom ... of the snake.

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

An answer that speaks for itself, I think

I’ve been locking antlers with creationists through e-mail correspondence. Just before I left England I prepared a statement offering summary conclusions of my studies so far. I’m primarily after a response from mainstream evangelical outfits, but I thought I would send it to one of my more lucid creationist correspondents too, not that I expected him to like it very much. He feels I’m sarcastic and uncharitable; moi? of course I am, but towards creationISM, not towards its advocates, for whom – much as they annoy me – I also feel desperately sorry. Well, I try.

I append without further comment one of the propositions in my statement and his response.

A "conspiracy theory" is required to explain why mainstream science and much of mainstream theology condemns creationism, often emphatically. Creationists frequently suggest that their opponents have fallen prey to Satanic onslaught, and make no distinction between Christian and atheistic opposition to their views.


Comment: No conspiracy theory is necessary to explain why so many people prefer evolution. In part, this is due to human nature, and the desire to be independent and reject any idea of being answerable to a Supreme Being. Scientists who are committed to “naturalism” have already excluded the possibility of a Creator from their thinking, and must interpret everything within an evolutionary straight-jacket. There is no such person as an “unbiased scientist” — we all approach the evidence with a bias, whether evolutionist or creationist. Most Christians who accept evolution do so because they believe what the secular scientists tell them. However, personally, I do believe that evolution is a Satanic lie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home